Halloween crate—buyer beware

Wish I had Voodoo Doughnuts in my area. We do have Paula’s Doughnuts here which are amazing.

I live in Sweden and we call our donuts “munkar” which means “monks”. We’re lightyears from having voodoo donuts.

Hey a doughnut’s a doughnut. I would eat them monk ones up :slight_smile:

Were far off topic now but I wiki’ed it because I was curious, lol. They’re actually based in Portland, not Seattle (I forgot which city I was in when I had it).
PS, I like the idea of monk shaped donuts. I’m curious if the Swedish name is because they look like fluffy monk haircuts.
PPS, When I was in Denmark I felt very foolish when I was informed that danishes (the donut) are not called danishes there, lol. Interestingly, I can’t recall but I think refer to them by a totally different region’s name.

Yay for tangents!

@Guest

My parents just came back from a trip from Europe and the Scandinavian Peninsula (must be nice to be retired) and they brought back some treats. It’s called Weinerbrod or something like that. I had to Google it. I guess it translates as Vienna Bread. Btw, chocolate from Norway is freakin’ amazing (too bad my daughters ate most of it :cry:).

1 Like

Danish are not donuts, they’re a completely different kind of pasty with other ingredients and they’re not cooked in oil. Exarch is right that a wienerbröd is another name for a danish bread. :slight_smile: Completely dry and tasteless as expected from something originating from Denmark!
If you visit Sweden, make sure not to try finska pinnar. That’s like the deep end of the tunnel of depressing pastries.

1 Like

Don’t derail the donut / pastry conversation please (kidding).

2 Likes

@ULFPAM
Yes! That’s it. Very unimpressive. Oh, but here’s the chocolate from Norway that I was talking about. I think the US should just mass import it. We could replace opioid addictions with it.

Hmmmm, I don’t think I ever seen those here in Sweden. They probably exist in well-sorted stores but I tend to avoid anything Norwegian if it’s not black metal or salmon. Buuuut now I am curious and if I find one of these I’ll make sure to buy and try it. :slight_smile:

I'll%20allow%20it

2 Likes

Since we are on the topic of imports and food, my sister in law went to one of the Hawaiian islands for her honeymoon a few years back. They brought back a pineapple from the pineapple farms they have there. If you dont know (cuz I didnt) most pineapples dont come from there. The pineapples grown in Hawaii dont use citrus or other preserving agents. Most other places do so they have a better shelf life and can ship them all over. Hawaii doesnt do this. Why? Because they taste a-flippin mazing without the preservatives.

I dont like pineapples. Not my thing. But they brought one home and we all tried it and good Lord was it delicious. Felt like I was eating candy…but in a fruit somehow. Crazy good.

2 Likes

Lol. Np. This thread shoulda died early on. It was intended as a PSA, not for debate.

Not certain why you responded to me unprovoked. We’ve held the same POV on the subject. So I went adolescent on the other individual because his post said if we don’t see how we were wrong we’re either being willfully obtuse, not thinking or a moron. Well no, my POV is based on what a word means. Somehow he felt he had to lash out.

Gotta love how there are 2 topic discussions in this thread.

1. Bitter Halloween crate discussion
  2. Sweet Donuts discussion

I’d prefer to discuss about the donuts initiated by OP’s screenshot’s vip chat than halloween crate discussion. It’s because crate discussion become too personal at this point, even the dev stated that they will make clearer crate info.

So time for donuts topic with pics.

Anyone into candy corn donuts? I ought to try some in next halloween.

Also I want to try Voodoo donuts as well, I like the designs.

1 Like

Honestly I’m not into really glossy donuts. The stuff with too much glaze or frosting I don’t really like because it burns my throat when I eat it. I’d much rather have the greasy stuff, the stuff really light and fluffy with minimal glaze. Like the stuff you guys have down in Korea, it’s great.

2 Likes

Ooh, I don’t know anything about Korean donuts, tell me more.
And I think I agree (I don’t really get the donuts that double as a plate, eg covered in frootloops, lol). I very much like the simpler fried donuts where there is so little substance/nourishment that it kind of melts in your mouth like cotton candy. That or it’s a dense, heavy, glob of nuts and goodness

1 Like

I honestly have less variety of knowledge about donuts in my country, at least the donuts in dunkin donuts shops are pretty yummy with coffee.

Just an update, HHG did the right thing by me. A sincere apology can go a long way.

2 Likes

Oof / I misinterpreted it. Baguettes galore.