"The Scorched 5" A Hero Hunters Story (Part 1)

Hey! This is a story I wrote based on an alternate side and to some of the true heroes that would be around during Zero Day. This takes place much smaller scale than the overall plot and is more just of a narrative of a group of 5 brave firefighters that made a small difference during Zero Day. This will have more parts soon to follow, so I hope you enjoy!

Part 1 of “The Scorched 5”

The sound of laughter filled the air as video after video was played of backflip fails to the small group of firefighters sitting in their lawn chairs. The day was calm, with an ever so slight breeze drifting in. Birdsong sweetened the natural sound and helped tie the bow on the quality of the day. The day seemed to go on like an endless dream, with each second becoming better as it went. By now, the firefighters had grown tired of the fail compilation and swapped to something a bit more entertaining.

“Uno!” One of the men exclaimed and slammed his card down on the table.

“You liar! I swear you had 3 cards just one turn ago!” Another one yelled.

The man grinned, “I stacked my two reverse cards.”

“You can’t do that! We never said!”

“We also never said we couldn’t.”

“Anyone going to back me up on this?!” The man stood up and pointed at another person, who was busy texting on their phone, “Quinn, back me up on this.”

Quinn glanced up from his phone, “Grayson is right, you can’t include stacks unless you stated it before the game.”

The man picked up one of the other cards and slumped back into his seat, “Man, I hate ya’ll.”

“Is it my turn?” The fourth member asked, holding a card in hand.

“Yes Yash, it’s your turn.” The man grumbled, still visibly discontent by having to take back one of his cards.

Yash glanced at Grayson’s cards and noted that he too, had only 2 cards left, besides Keenan.

“Sorry Grayson, nothing personal,” Yash placed a +4 card down on the table.
Grayson’s eyes widened and he slammed his fists down on the cards, sending them flying. Just as he did this, the ground shook immensely.

“Wow Grayson, looks like you just shook the whole ground!” Keenan laughed, laying back in his chair.

Quinn got up and went to help clean up, “I get it is a joke and all but does anyone know what that was?” Quinn looked over at Grayson.

“What are you looking at me for? It’s not like I just caused an earthquake or something.”
“Hey so I know this is off-topic but does anyone know where Tate is?” Yash spoke, with concern in his voice.

“Calm down, he’s just sleeping in the firehouse, he will probably wake up soon.” Keenan said.

All of a sudden, a figure came running out of the firehouse, haphazardly throwing on their gear while shouting at the top of their lungs.

“Is that Tate? What the hell is he doing?” Quinn adjusted his glasses.

The figure, now out of breath, slowly jogged over to the group, “Report…of multiple fires…all over the city…we need to assemble now.” Tate said, in-between breaths.

Concerned looks spread of the group and they all looked at each other and thought the same thing. The men dashed back towards the firehouse, throwing on all of their equipment and hurriedly filling up the gas to the truck. Yash was one of the first to finish and ran back over to Tate.

“What is going on?” Yash asked, nervously.

“They’re calling it, Zero Day.”

Thanks for reading! That was part 1 of “The Scorched 5” and more parts should be coming out soon! Let me know what you think and if there are any recommendations to parts I should change or make!

4 Likes

This is really well written! I love the way you introduce your characters in such a fun and wholesome manner! I am already awaiting part two!

3 Likes

Thank you so much! :grin:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.