Latest Q&A Recap

When you’re used to games like League and HH everything goes below your standards

Hope people realize that programming, even for professionals, is not easy. And it probably never will be until we have computers that can read minds. It’s NEVER as simple as “copy last month’s event code and paste it into here.” Especially not on a game with multiple years of compatibility behind it and written by someone else. If it was easy, it would have been done it already.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that whatever’s causing the delay is some kind of incompetence or even malevolence. Development delays from the biggest conglomerates to the smallest startups are common in today’s industry. Frankly, if you’re a gamer, you should be used to it by now. I will say that the communication department leaves a lot to be desired. The lack of acknowledgment of player complaints is unsettling. That said, I’m prepared to wait. I never expected this transfer to go without hiccups

4 Likes

Thanks for bringing this topic to light. I used to live with a Sony programmer who would be brought just to fix errors when the regular team can’t fix it. I’m just speculating and this is my own opinion/theory:

The game was moved from HHG servers to a test server at DECA. It worked on the test server so they pushed the small update to move the players over to DECAs test server where the game was running fine, that worked.

When it came time to push the update however, something went horribly wrong with HHG coding when it moved to the DECA main server. Now I bet we are sitting in a test server and they can’t push an update or any events because the events are in the update coding. If they push an update it’s possible that the whole game gets written over. They would be able to revert back to the swap date but what player who’s been here since beta is going to stick around if they lose a month of effort?

With how long it’s taking, I bet they have a team who is recoding the entire game into a language that is native to their servers while they try to solve the other problem so as to keep us happy.

Again this is SPECULATION and PERSONAL THEORY. I don’t work for, or represent DECA. Just trying to apply some critical thinking to the events as we’ve seen them.

7 Likes

I been here since day 1 of public release. And I’ll wait till it’s out. I’m enjoying the little break.

2 Likes

I just did a deployment where I literally copied and pasted several thousand lines of code, altered a handful and pushed it out as an update. Now my QC team put in some time to make sure everything was copacetic before the userbase got it, and I only have 5000 users, so not on this scale BUT… the point being… yes sometimes repeating things is easy. Its not instant, but isn’t not whining level, can’t figure out any point when things’ll go right wrong. If it isn’t, you’ve done yourself a disservice in how you structured things in the first place.

2 Likes

Thats the most logical thing speculation I’ve seen yet. Also, would explain the complete and utter lack of clue as to when, if ever, they’re going to get things moving. Also explains some of the unprofessional references to their predecessors in the Q&A, as you’d have to be a complete idiot to wade through the new company’s servers to try to weed out why the migration went cold. Especially when they’re unprofessional enough to mention their displeasure publicly.

I’d think however, that the migration go boom would be less about HHG code and more along the lines of what would be different between test and production servers. If this was the case, code works in two places but not third, you’ve got issues on how the environment is set on #3. I’ve been through a few madhouse scenarios like that with inhouse apps in M&As.

1 Like

Hate that s hate and maybe it stands out because we practice more of the love. At times in ones lives it can seem like there is more hate. Even if the all hate ones perceived reality then something has to change. I don’t hate DECA. However if HH was like this from the beginning, I wouldn’t have been around long enough to post this. Unless DECA has changed from its model of acquiring LIVE game’s

I want a hero from the sewage

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.