Accidently opening gold x10

I get your point but there are 2 important factors to consider here (and which I already mentioned):

1. There is no confirmation window/button
  2. It is very easy to make this mistake especially when you further consider a). the buttons are directly next to each other, b). they are very small, especially on a mobile phone screen and c). we get free gold crates every day (2 times a day? I’m not sure) so we are reinforced to click that button multiple times per day. Over the course of months, we are talking about hundreds of clicks.

Now, if these conditions were not true. I.e. if there was a confirmation window - then I can totally understand a no refund policy.

Or if the buttons and mechanics were set up in a way that it is not easy to screw up, again, no refund policy is understandable.

In both cases it is logical to put the responsibility on the player. The way it is now? Definitely not.

I had the same issue a few weeks ago. Accidentally clicked on one of those “special offers” (you know how they pop-up randomly right?) and I lost 1500 gold.

Contacted support and they put the blame on me.

So yeah, customer service is not exactly world class.

1 Like

If you’re on apple, and you are not happy with the customer service of hothead, and you are an actual paying customer, I would say you should escalate this to apple. They have better customer service than most mobile game companies. Tell them what happened and explain that the app support was not helpful.

I’m just saying, as paying customers, we have the right to spend the currency we bought in the way that we want to. . Instead of getting scammed by deliberate design flaws.

2 Likes

yea, agreed.

There are some circumstances where I can understand putting the blame on the customer and having a no-refund policy. If there was a confirmation popup. Or if it was really hard to click the wrong button.

But this is almost designed to make you misclick. I put the 99% of the blame on HHG. They need to take responsibility for this terrible setup.

1 Like

Yeah, regardless of what hothead will say or what people defending hothead, it is an obvious deliberate design flaw that waits for people to mis-click. It really reflects the values of the company, though we can’t blame them for desiring more profit right?

But what really triggered when I had the same expereince as yours was how nonchalant and unempathetic customer support was. If you’re a Pay2Play customer, I would strongly suggest escalating this to your provider (apple or google) and tell them your disapproval of the customer service/lack of actual customer support. Dispute one of your crates equal to the gold you lost. Do not listen to people justifying this issue. This is not your fault.

to be fair, most of my interaction with HHG staff here on these boards and elsewhere has been overwhelmingly positive. And I think that the vast majority of them do care about players and their feedback.

My guess is that this (most likely intentional) design “flaw” was pushed by a suit in the finance department, or the publisher (like EA) or other jackass that doesn’t give a crap about customer relations and company reputation.

I dont like how you blame the customer service for your mistake. It should be obvious, that you dont get a refund for your mistake, because its yours, not theirs.
Like statet before, giving refund, would lead to missuse.

The original intention of this post, to get a confirmation button, is something I strongly support, did a accidently purchase myself too and was really pissed about it.

Just to chime in that I also lost gold months ago when the button to refresh the hard missions didn’t have a confirmation button, they put that in pretty soon after that.

My point being the fact that they managed to put it in there but not for the gold crates does point to some intentional design being in place.

1 Like

I fully agree that there needs to be a confirmation button or else customer service should refund a mistake click since its a design flaw. I have made the same topic before and many more have done the same… I also got a decline from Customer Service and that made me angry, the rest of the game and follow up is great from HH, just this unnecessary flaw which is not needed as we have already paid for our gold and many of us are spending a lot of cash on the game anyway for hero crates/resets/energy+++, we just want to spend it as intended and not wasted on a very poor deal by mistake.

1 Like

I never blamed customer service. Get your facts straight. I do blame “someone” in HHG (probably finance guys) for creating a setup that makes it blatantly easy for customers to misclick. I outlined this in detail. If you didn’t read it or ignored it, that’s not my problem.

Determining who is “responsible” for a mistake, whether based on logic, or the court of law in the United States (I can’t speak for other countries) depends on the level of negligence (or malicious intent) of each party.

You can view things totally black and white and make a simple-minded judgement: you click on the wrong button, it’s your fault.

This is kind of like saying, if i walk into a store with grease/oil smeared all over the floor and I slip, fall and break my arm, it’s my fault because, hey, I couldn’t keep my balance.

IF there was a confirmation button, IF the buttons were adequately spaced apart and large. IF HHG made a good faith effort in their design to help players avoid accidentally clicking “Open 10”, THEN yes, I absolutely agree with you that the player should suck it up and take responsibility. HHG would have no reason to give a refund.

Going back to my analogy about the floor with grease, I don’t know a single person who would blame the customer for falling. And U.S. courts would find the store guilty of negligence 100% of the time. Based on the points I outlined clearly above, in my opinion, HHG is guilty of “greasing the floors” and making it extremely easy for customers to fall. They are negligent and should take responsibility for what is not only poor design, but also bears some semblance of malicious intent.

IF there was a confirmation button, all of this would be moot. HHG could deny refunds with a clear conscience and place the blame totally on the customer.

Lastly, how do you know what HHG is capable of? Yes absolutely 1000% it could lead to misuse. Any and all refunds (including the ones routinely given by the App Store and Google Play) can lead to misuse. Does that mean no company should ever offer a refund?? Those companies can and do have policies and procedures in place to prevent/minimize abuse and prevent customers from taking advantage of refunds. How do you know HHG can’t do the same?

And if they can’t or aren’t willing to invest resources into that area, they should have considered that before making a system where accidents can easily and frequently occur. If they are going to deny refunds and place the blame on the customer, they need to at least make it look like it is something that the customer could have easily avoided. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

2 Likes

And uniquefrequency is saying that they added a confirmation popup pretty quickly for refreshes on hard missions. not to mention the numerous other confirmation popups that already exist in the game.

So the way I see it, there is no reason that HHG can’t and shouldn’t add confirmation popups for these gold purchases.

https://darkpatterns.org/

This topic is important and I’d like to provide an update.

First off, please know that our goal is never to trick you into an action. That’s not a healthy way to build a community, and building an awesome community is our goal. We want you to have a positive experience, every time you spend gold. That’s our highest priority.

When we designed the Crate system, we may have underestimated how easy it is to accidentally buy the wrong thing. We’ve been planning on revisiting this topic, but your feedback has made it clear that it should be higher on our priority list.

We can’t say any more now, but rest assured, we’re working to address this, and you can expect to hear something in the coming weeks.

7 Likes

Thank you for the reply Huggin. Feedback like this is greatly appreciated. I still love you guys and I love this game and I think HHG is doing a tremendous job, especially compared to other developers.

Yes I am very pissed about this situation but that does not mean I am trying to make a blanket indictment against HHG. I am not naive and understand that, even if the lack of a confirmation button was intentional, practices like this are extremely common. While I do sincerely believe that you care about the community, the most important goal of any company is to make money. Also, not every employee and not all departments will share the same views and priorities.

With that said please know that I was not trying to imply that HHG is trying to trick people into an action. That is akin to fraud and quite a bit different from intentionally creating or allowing a situation to persist where accidents can easily occur. I haven’t met a single person who even wonders whether or not they should click on that “Open 10” button (this is another issue - maybe you guys should also revisit the value of the gold crate contents relative to the cost). However, given that this is a mobile game (tiny phone screens), the size and placement of the buttons and the fact that we are pressing this button multiple times per day, mechanical error can easily, or at least frequently, occur.

Bottom line: Confirmation popup will solve everything. Thank you for (hopefully) addressing this issue quickly. Even if a confirmation button was intentionally left out or delayed, that doesn’t make you guys bad. HHG is still head and shoulders above almost all developers and you guys are saints compared to the likes of EA.

2 Likes

This is precisely my point. Protection from unintended purchases must also cover the “special offers” or “refreshes” that spends gold. Even EA’s mobile games have those checkpoints.

It is our right to be able to spend the currency we bought as intended. If hothead is tired of complaints about this, and customers equally feel cheated, they should really address the design flaw and add checkpoints.

We’re lucky we have a reply from Huginn! I feel like I received a sense of justice from that expensive 1500 gold mistake a few weeks back.

3 Likes

I love how this is like the lowest standard any developer should follow lol

3 Likes

@GTSaiko This comment deserves more credits, pissing in in my pants :joy:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.